Stewart's Shops replaced tanks that they said were safe just a few years ago when this station was built, with safer tanks. The problem is that what you're told is safe today, seems to not be safe in the future. We really need to be smarter about where we locate dangerous operations like gas stations, dry cleaners, chemical using businesses, etc. They, common sense should tell you, don't belong over primary aquifers and along watershed tributaries, like the one Stewart's Shops Gas wants to build in Historic Wiccopee Hamlet.
Historic Wiccopee Hamlet is a residential colonial era hamlet with some structures dating back to 1700's. We rely on wells and the ground water aquifer for our water. Accidents and leaks do happen, and residents will be exposed to any contamination leaks and vapors from spills and accidents. Unfortunately there are plenty of spills and accidents, just check the DEC spills database.
Stewart's Shops had 5 reported spills the last 12 months in Dutchess County alone. Stewart's Shops had a total 36 spill reports in the last 12 months in New York State. There were a total of 313 reported spills in Dutchess County in just the last 12 months.
We need to be proactive and not build potentially dangerous operations so close to vital water supplies. Depending on ground water flow, a contamination plume could reach Town of Fishkill residents along Old Grange Road and could have a major impact on IBM/Global Foundries production should their Wiccopee Well fields get contaminated.
Gasoline contains more than 100 other chemicals including toluene, benzene, xylene ... many things a person does not want to drink, nor breathe. Gasoline is considered dangerous for your health because it is poisonous. Exposure to gas—either through physical contact or inhalation—can cause health problems. The effects of gasoline poisoning can harm every part of the body. Here are some of the health effects can occur after several years of exposure to low levels of gasoline in air or in water: Organ Systems: People can experience damaged nervous system or lungs. Long-term exposure to higher levels of benzene, a component of gasoline, may increase a person's risk of leukemia.
Despite all the modern health and safety guidelines they must follow, gas stations can still pose significant hazards to neighbors, especially children. Some of the perils include ground-level ozone caused in part by gasoline fumes, groundwater hazards from petroleum products leaking into the ground, and exposure hazards from other chemicals that might be used at the station. Ozone pollution is caused by a mixture of volatile organic compounds, some of which are found in gasoline vapors, and others, like carbon monoxide, that come from car exhaust. Higher ozone levels can lead to respiratory problems and asthma, while benzene is a known cancer-causing chemical, according to the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
We have long maintained that potential harmful operations should not be built over locations like the vital Wiccopee aquifer and alongside the Fishkill Creek Watershed tributaries. Accidents do and will happen.
Graphic UK Groundwater Forum
As one can plainly see, the contamination plume from the Hopewell Precision Superfund site encompasses and impacts a massive area. Prevention of such accidents is key! We have long maintained that potential harmful operations should not be built over a vital aquifer and along the Fishkill Creek Watershed. Accidents do and will happen. Which is why Stewarts Shops Gas should not build over a vital primary aquifer and alongside a tributary of the Fishkill Creek Watershed.
Residents in this area have had to contend with groundwater and vapor intrusion that is contaminated with trichloroethylene and trichloroethane. This contamination occurred when Hopewell Precision Inc. dumped chemical waste solvents onto the ground at its facility on Ryan Drive. EPA states the company does not have the financial resources to pay for the remedy and cleanup. So all the costs will be on taxpayers.
The old saying "the solution for pollution is dilution" is wrong. The solution is to prevent pollution in the first place! And have the responsible party clean it up! Ask one of these proponents supporting this thinking to switch their drinking water to water with safe levels of lead, TCE, TCA, benzene, toluene, arsenic, etc. No one would allow their family to knowingly drink such a cocktail.